Dental phobia is a real phenomenon, and every year, it prevents millions of people from getting the dental care they need. If visiting the dentist brings on nerves and anxiety for you, you’re far from alone, and Premier Care Dental is happy to help you. With sedation dentistry in Ashland, OR, we can calm your mind and protect you from pain all at the same time so you can just sit back and relax while we take care of your teeth. Would you like to use sedation at your next visit? If so, please contact us today.
Oral Conscious Sedation
If you’re the type of person who has avoided the dentist for years, then oral conscious sedation can help you finally take the stress out of your dental care. It’s fairly straightforward: one of our dentists will prescribe you a pill to take about an hour before your appointment so that by the time you sit in the chair, you’ll be completely physically and mentally relaxed. You’ll remain awake the entire time, able to respond to commands, but your appointment will fly by very quickly, and you’ll likely have very little memory of it afterward (which some patients prefer!). This approach is also helpful for those who want to have multiple procedures completed in one appointment to save time, or others who have difficulty sitting in the chair for extended periods. In any case, it’s safe, effective, and has already helped thousands of patients get past their fear of the dentist.
Nitrous Oxide Sedation
If you or your child only feel a little nervous about visiting the dentist, then nitrous oxide sedation might be exactly what you need to “take the edge off.” A patient simply has to breathe in the colorless, odorless gas through a small nasal mask, and this will help them achieve a light, happy feeling in the chair that also lowers their ability to register pain. The mask will stay on for the entire appointment, and once it is removed, the gas’ effects wear off almost instantly, allowing a patient to go straight back to their day.
Is Sedation Dentistry Right for Me?
We typically recommend dental sedation for patients who:
- Suffer from severe dental fear or anxiety
- Have sensitive teeth, sensitive gums, or a touchy gag reflex
- Are very young and incapable of understanding their dental treatments
- Wish to complete a complex treatment or numerous procedures in one appointment
- Have cognitive or physical impairments that make getting dental care uncomfortable or unsafe
What Are the Benefits of Sedation Dentistry?
In addition to its primary purpose of relieving mild to severe dental anxiety, sedation can provide multiple additional benefits, such as:
- Commonly having an amnesiac effect that causes you to not remember most or all of your procedure
- Paralyzing the gag reflex
- Suppressing the brain’s ability to register pain
- Allowing our dentists to work more quickly since they won’t have to worry about any adverse reactions from you